VFR beginner question
Rafael Machado
2013-02-27 19:32:26 UTC
Hi Everyone

I'm starting my studios related to vfr, and while reading the UEFI spec, at
page 1515, I saw a really cool form when thinking about the "bios
environment" limitations.

My question is if is there a sample or some guide of how to do a form like
that ?

Thanks and Regards.
Rafael R. Machado
Jarlstrom, Laurie
2013-02-27 19:54:46 UTC
There is an example of using VFR forms on sourceforge: https://edk2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/edk2/trunk/edk2/MdeModulePkg/Universal/DriverSampleDxe/

This example has .vfr and .uni strings files for compiling into IFR forms and strings for the HII database. When you build this in the Nt32Pkg environment you can see the results under the "Device Manager" and "Browser Testcase Engine" menus.

The VFR Programing language specification is at: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=EDK_II_Specifications
The latest version is 1.7. https://sourceforge.net/projects/edk2/files/Specifications/VFR_V1.7.pdf/download

thanks,
Laurie

***@intel.com<mailto:***@intel.com>
EFI / Framework Technical
Marketing Engineering Team
(503) 712-9395
2013-02-28 12:25:59 UTC
Hi Laurie

Thanks for the help.
I checked your information and find the sample vfr application.
But after loading it, a "simple" screen was presented, as a normal Bios
screen.

Some time ago I've executed an raid diagnostic from a LSI raid controller
and that application have several forms that are similar to windows forms
applications. And that is exactly what I'd like to do.

Is there any place where I can check some sample like that ?

Thanks and Regards
Rafael R. Machado

Космынин Олег Олегович
2013-03-01 08:18:38 UTC
That's not possible in EDK2. Yes, VFR is "simple".

________________________________

2013/2/27 Jarlstrom, Laurie <***@intel.com<mailto:***@intel.com>>
There is an example of using VFR forms on sourceforge: https://edk2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/edk2/trunk/edk2/MdeModulePkg/Universal/DriverSampleDxe/

This example has .vfr and .uni strings files for compiling into IFR forms and strings for the HII database. When you build this in the Nt32Pkg environment you can see the results under the “Device Manager” and “Browser Testcase Engine” menus.

The VFR Programing language specification is at: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=EDK_II_Specifications
The latest version is 1.7. https://sourceforge.net/projects/edk2/files/Specifications/VFR_V1.7.pdf/download

thanks,
Laurie

***@intel.com<mailto:***@intel.com>
EFI / Framework Technical
Marketing Engineering Team
(503) 712-9395<tel:%28503%29%20712-9395>

Rafael R. Machado
Rafael Machado
2013-03-01 11:29:39 UTC
Thanks okosmynin

So to develop such a thing I need to develop my own framework ? Is this
what you mean ?
What protocols are needed fot this task ? (I know GOP exists but I didn't
read nothig about it yet)

Thanks and Regards.
Rafael R. Machado

Andrew Fish
2013-03-01 17:32:39 UTC
On Mar 1, 2013, at 12:18 AM, Êîñìûíèí Îëåã Îëåãîâè÷ <***@kraftway.ru> wrote:

> That's not possible in EDK2. Yes, VFR is "simple".

VFR is "simple" in that it is a simple markup language. A markup language defers presentation to the browser. The VRF "browser" in the edk2 is text based. It sounds like you saw a system where the VFR "broswer" was based on a graphics engine and not text.

In general in UEFI we have tried to push policy into the platform to enable innovation and interoperability. So that platform you saw where you really liked the VFR presentation was an example of that type of innovation.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

Rafael Machado
2013-03-02 12:36:40 UTC
Thanks okosmynin, Laurie and Andrew.
I'll study a little more about what you said.

Att.
Rafael R. machado
Rafael Machado
2013-03-12 11:23:18 UTC
Hi Everyone

After some research I did a sample application that loads a bmp image on
the screen using GOP. But now I have another question.
Some days ago someone send an e-mail to the group asking about resize vfr
fonts, and this person told that he was able to resize images, but not the
texts.
This confused me.
Since vfr is just a simple text way of creating forms, how can this person
load images and even resize them ?
I'm asking this because resize is an problem that I'll have in future with
my application, because of all possible screen resolution we have today.
Considering the possibility of loading images in a vfr form, is it possible
to enable mouse interaction in these forms ? So I can load an image with a
button and detect when the button area was clicked. Is it possible to do
that or do I need to use GOP and develop my own mouse cursor as I'm doing
now ?

Thanks for the help guys.
Rafael R. Machado

Thomas Rognon
2013-03-12 16:21:57 UTC
I ran into the same issues and, as far as I could find out, UEFI provides
nothing for user interface except the ability to transfer a pixel buffer to
the screen. HII and VFR aren't user interface, they are just underlying
structures that a user interface can be built upon. I ended up writing my
own GUI framework and now I have a nice mouse and buttons and scrollbars
and pretty fonts, but I had to do it all from scratch. I wrote a couple
layout managers to take care of resizing and different screen resolutions.
A constraint layout (google GWT LayoutPanel) and list layout can do almost
any kind of layout you want. I also found very little image support and
ended up writing some tools that convert png and bmp images into source
files that compile into my UEFI application. I've only done one UEFI
application so far, but I built the GUI framework as a driver so it can be
used for other stuff later on.

Well, that's how I did it. Hope it helps. If anyone knows a better way,
I'm interested also.

Thomas Rognon

Andrew Fish
2013-03-12 18:14:02 UTC
On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:21 AM, Thomas Rognon <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ran into the same issues and, as far as I could find out, UEFI provides nothing for user interface except the ability to transfer a pixel buffer to the screen. HII and VFR aren't user interface, they are just underlying structures that a user interface can be built upon. I ended up writing my own GUI framework and now I have a nice mouse and buttons and scrollbars and pretty fonts, but I had to do it all from scratch. I wrote a couple layout managers to take care of resizing and different screen resolutions. A constraint layout (google GWT LayoutPanel) and list layout can do almost any kind of layout you want. I also found very little image support and ended up writing some tools that convert png and bmp images into source files that compile into my UEFI application. I've only done one UEFI application so far, but I built the GUI framework as a driver so it can be used for other stuff later on.
>
> Well, that's how I did it. Hope it helps. If anyone knows a better way, I'm interested also.

UEFI does not specify a GUI framework as our thinking was different vendors might want a different look, and feel. These different look and feels could imply a different GUI API, or maybe it is just easier to port an existing framework to UEFI so standardizing the API does not really help. If you think about it, it makes sense. Some folks may want a Metro (don't remember new name) look, vs a Windows XP look, vs X11 look, vs a Mac look, vs a windowless UI look...

Currently the edk2 does text for Hii since that works everywhere. The GOP does not run over a serial port for example.

The reason there is no GUI framework is no one has contributed one. I'm sure it would be possible to have an edk2 subproject that was a GUI framework. So feel free to contribute.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

Thomas Rognon
2013-03-12 20:07:01 UTC
I'm interested in contributing my GUI framework as a edk2 subproject, but
I'll have to clear that by my employer first. Also, I've never contributed
to an open source project before, so I'm not sure how that process works.

Andrew Fish
2013-03-12 20:22:54 UTC
On Mar 12, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Thomas Rognon <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in contributing my GUI framework as a edk2 subproject, but I'll have to clear that by my employer first. Also, I've never contributed to an open source project before, so I'm not sure how that process works.

The process is here, and you must agree to the TianoCore Contribution Agreement 1.0. https://edk2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/edk2/trunk/edk2/MdePkg/Contributions.txt

The edk2 is all BSD license so folks are not required to give back changes, and we can't accept code that has non-compatible license. So for example if your subproject contained GPL code, or code copied from a GPL project then it would have to have a GPL license and be in its own subproject.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

arti singh
2013-03-27 05:06:57 UTC
VFR defines only the content and not the placement of items and by default
items are listed vertically.We use the down arrow key to navigate each
item.How do i design a setup screen where items are listed horizontally and
i use the next arrow to move on to the next item on the list.I want to
design something like a bios setup screen where we use next arrow to
traverse various menu items like main,advanced, security etc.

Thanks..

Dong, Eric
2013-03-27 11:55:48 UTC
How to show the content is decided by the Browser (code in MdeModulePkg/Universal/SetupBrowserDxe). You can see this driver to know the detail.

Thanks,
Eric

arti singh
2013-04-01 05:13:05 UTC
Thanks for the response.So i have an option ROM for which i am designing a
utility which will get called upon a key press.I have no control over the
browser.Which means i wont be able to design my utility screens the way i
want without changing the browser code?Because my settings will get over
written when the browser code is called to display the form.

Is there a way out of this.Thanks for your help